Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lost in time

My brother-in-laws are coming. The first one has had a flight cancellation followed by a long delay. Kind of stinks when someone is only coming for a week. I think of every minute missed. He reminded me on the phone, he's is trying to make the best of it and so focused instead on the fact that he got to see an old friend. I needed the reminder.

I can while away time with the best of them. I get lost in the moment and frankly hours can slip by- reading, surfing the internet, magazines, cookbooks, etc. My husband once told me he was sure they could do surgery on me while I was reading a Vogue magazine. Hrmph, I replied. As if he isn't distractible himself- playing guitar, bass, piano, downloading tunes, reading historical facts about bands, songs, music, etc. We are the distracted family. I never seem to lose myself when cleaning or cooking, but I keep trying.

What purpose time serves I sometimes wonder. It is kind of annoying that I have to show up and be so many places at certain times and that this occurs with great frequency and as well as all that I have daily tasks that are also about timeliness. I get that the world needs to be synchronized and that it helps to make plans. I just feel like there is not enough time for complete and total lolligagging. In a way lolligagging is play for me. I want to let my mind wander and not pay attention to much else. It seems this just doesn't happen enough.

I wish I could figure out how to use time more wisely to both enjoy the free for all absorption I crave and the demands of the weary world. It might help if I quit thinking about what I missed or didn't do and it might help if I didn't have so much to do. Paring down tasks! Now there is a thought.

No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated & word verification is on to check for humans: