Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sayonara M & M

Saw and signed my first sayonara doll this week. I have avoided goodbyes generally as I don't tolerate them well. I am more for having known my friends, but I am now less for not having them around anymore. Goodbyes are tough. The internet does make it easier to keep up with friends in the four corners of the world, but you lose their presence, the moment stuff.

Have you noticed that some friends are new versions of old friends? It might sound strange, but it is like a shortcut to being able to jump quickly into a new version of a similar relationship, a root from which to grow a new friendship- like when you root a plant in a vase of water to grow a new one. I really want all of my friends in one place, but that will never happen. So when I meet someone who reminds me of an old friend, it is a short cut to a new friendship. When they leave, it feels like I've lost two friends. Tonight I said goodbye to Mimi & Monika, and I lost four friends.

Did I mention I hate goodbyes. I really, really hate goodbyes.

5 comments :

  1. Me, too, Kim. Mimi and Monika are good eggs just like you. No wonder, you'll miss them. I know I do. You, too! Good thing you have this blog so I can still "talk" to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Kim. Farewell parties are starting to feel like an exercise in masochism. I've said goodbye to Mimi at the JAW sayonara luncheon, on Father's Day at our brunch with our favorite priest, and at our book club session this week. On July 4 we'll have another farewell luncheon with some of our Japanese friends. So emotionally wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But the "Hello's" and "It's great to see you again's"are so wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww-this made me cry. Even though we never got a chance to hang out often, when we did, it was like long lost friends catching up after years and we'd have tons to talk about!! That's the sign of a good friendship :-). Until we meet again friend...

    ReplyDelete
  5. M&M I most appreciated that neither of you ever gave up on me- you both always asked me to do things even when I couldn't do stuff for months at a time and then poof, time was gone, and, well, I dislike goodbyes a lot, but I look forward to some hellos someday with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated & word verification is on to check for humans: