Sunday, May 11, 2014

No Place Like Home

If I had ruby slippers, they would take me home in the present, every time.  I used up all my travel Jones with forty plus years as military baggage. I don't regret it, but that particular scratch, no longer itches. Now, I like puttering about the garden, working at my desk, and the quiet that exists no place else, plus my favorite people are here. 

Sure, I grumble about cooking and cleaning, but traveling makes me appreciate the food at home. As much as I loved eating ramen and coal fired pizza in New York City, I'm thrilled to be back at the farmers market and harvesting the containers on the deck.

While in New York, the intensity of processed and packaged foods overwhelmed me. It occurred to me that one of the most radical things to do is to cook at home, with real food. Buying local food, using local food, means supporting the local economy, instead of corporations that are really interested in the wallet, not health, plus the food is fresher and more flavorful. Cooking also gives you control of fat, sugar, and other additives that need to be limited.

Grow your own food. I once scoffed at this concept, but really, containers are small and manageable. I put three packages of pesto into the freezer which were made from the clippings of a hanging basket of basil that grew while we away. If you come to chez Jordan this summer, you might be eating pesto.

Today, we ate our first nastridiums, marigolds, and borage, grown on the deck in pots. It's high time to get a few things into the garden so that we can reap the benefits of uber local foods. If you haven't tried marigolds, they are a must! 

As exciting as other places are, there is no place like home.

Happy Mothers Day!


No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated & word verification is on to check for humans: