Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Staying in the Moment

Chaos has fueled the desire for a life so full of routine that boredom ensues. I've always thought it would help to stay in the same place for a very long time, and, though I suspect that someday I'll experience death by routine, it's yet to hit my radar. 

My quest for a life of routine is partly about channeling the fluctuations of emotion and energy that make up daily life. On that front, I aim for a  daily walk along the riverRecouping from a recent injury, grateful for mobility, I ambled off listening to conversation from On Being about noticing the moment-- an exercise to look for five new things about a person you talk to everyday caught my interest. Since there was no office to duck into after the show, I tried to notice new things around me-- the leaves starting to turn though it's August,  a few of those fluorescent yellow and black birds still fluttering about town, and that some people smile on the bike path, but they usually aren't wearing a headset.  One guy saw me trying to read his shirt. I knew he had put it on mindlessly when he pulled it out in front of himself to read it. His shirt had a Chinese character on it, and I don't think either of us knew the kanji's meaning. 

The discipline of noticing is an effective tool for getting into the moment, but it's hard to stay there. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated & word verification is on to check for humans: