Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wallowing

I get nervous and talk, talk, talk- hurrying along, compressing leisure and time into the small unit present to me. With so much held back, too much is spilling all over, everywhere. My tiredness, my juggling, something needs to be chucked. My husband tells me it is only for a while longer. An antidote to a moment like talking too much and feeling bad about it, comes from Seth Godin's blog:
Way more productive, I think, to push yourself to be more in the world, not to encourage yourself to hide. We respond to what we keep track of. 
My brain tracks failure. It might benefit from tracking my pings of interests, things that make my heart go pitter patter, or even things that I overcome, like living with that bug in a box.

Driving back from church, my husband played It's a Dream by Neil Young on the iPod. He said, "I like the line 'I try to ignore what the paper says.'" I think, "I try to ignore what my brain says." I say, "I like that too.  You can't change any of that stuff anyway." I think, "I have enough trouble changing myself." That thought came back to me today. I had to listen to the song.

I met up with a friend of a friend to talk about writing. She has a Facebook page called Embrace Transition. She encouraged me to look it up as there was a quote from Steve Jobs I might like. I did:
Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
This was from his June 2005 Stanford Graduation Address, a favorite of mine. He also said "...much of what I stumbled into by following my curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on." I've heard stories he was a tough taskmaster, a perfectionist in his pursuit of his vision for computers. His advice to the graduates also included:  "...love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle."

Seth Godin wrote this about Steve Jobs:
Steve devoted his professional life to giving us (you, me and a billion other people) the most powerful device ever available to an ordinary person. Everything in our world is different because of the device you're reading this on.
What are we going to do with it?
All this good advice that I can't seem to follow. I am wallowing in the wealth of ideas. What to do? I hear munsters calling, then dinner, but later, I need to work on that cookbook. It is a miracle what we can make at home thanks to computers. I really love that I can write this, and you can read it- wherever you are.

2 comments :

  1. As I watch mothers of teenagers wring their hands over SAT scores at this time of year, I want to shout from the rooftops, "Bill Gates and Steve Jobs did not graduate from college!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "**One of the most interesting back stories of the modern computing and IT industry is how many of its pioneers were college dropouts. Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg, for example, both left Harvard in mid-term, and one of Gates's proudest boasts is that he was responsible for persuading Steve Ballmer (now Microsoft's CEO) to drop out of Stanford. The list continues with Larry Ellison, founder of Oracle and Michael Dell, founder of the computer firm that bears his name. And although Google's co-founders, Sergey Brin and Larry Page, did graduate, they both dropped out of their PhD programmes. This rather runs against the conventional narrative – that an expensive college education and a good degree are essential prerequisites for success. ** " http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/09/steve-jobs-stanford-commencement-address?newsfeed=true

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated & word verification is on to check for humans: