Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Imagination

School has been out for thirty minutes. There is no sign of the Moose who is supposed to meet me. I walk along his route expecting to see him after passing a clump of school children, after turning the corner, after passing the river but no.  I cross the railroad tracks,  making the final turn toward school. Where is this kid? Finally, I spy him, head down, with a pocketful of rocks and a stick. I ask him, "What are you thinking about today?" He replies, "Castaways." His mind is always somewhere just not the usual pursuits like getting home from school or doing homework. Turns out he's been thinking about being a castaway and collecting rocks and sticks for their usefulness to make things on a deserted island. He uses one of the rocks to rub the bark off of the stick as we walk toward his piano lesson.

His piano sensei is a blessing as she seems to intuit how to work with the Moose- meeting him where he is and yet pulling him along. She follows his lead, gently redirects, and pours on the praise. I think I need to do more of this! He has a good ear for tunes and lyrics, and like his dad easily remembers songs that he likes. He is currently obsessed with the World War I song "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" which is really a medley as the version we have also has contains "Mademoiselle from Armentières." The tunes are catchy. He drives me crazy, and he makes me laugh. Today I am grateful for an imaginative moose.

Mademoiselle from Armentieres, Parley-voo?
Mademoiselle from Armentieres, Parley-voo?

Mademoiselle from Armentieres,

She hasn't been kissed in forty years
Hinky, dinky, parley-voo.


No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated & word verification is on to check for humans: