Sunday, October 13, 2013

Wonder, Speak

Two books in two weeks, lately I've been reading but more importantly finishing books. I started a book group with a few friends. In order to avoid the shame of being a lame duck member. I begin early, earnestly pacing myself through the selected book.  

Wonder, is on lots of lists and is highly touted by a brain brainier than mine. However, I don't really love it. I'm in fifth grade, it's readable, the storyline is meaningful, but it feels a bit dull. The change of narrators helps, but the ending feels like a rescue job-- the main character does not save himself. I try to focus on the good stuff, the nice themes, but it doesn't work for me.

Our book group discussion is good but more because I like getting to know the other women. I suggest we switch gears and read another genre. We pick a poetry book for next time, Singing School: Learning to Write (and Read) Poetry by Studying with the Masters by Robert Pinsky.

A day later, I sort through the stack of books at my bedside. I've mislaid the poetry book which I recently purchased. For no particular reason I start another juvenile literature book, Speak.

This time, I'm in ninth grade. Something has happened and the character can't talk about it. The whole story is through her eyes. It's compelling. She has to pull herself together, it feels like so much more. I finish it in less than twenty-four hours. 

Maybe next time I'll end up in high school or college. No, I'm supposed to go to poetry school. I'm forever distracted by shiny things.


Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Wonder by R. J. Palacio




No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated & word verification is on to check for humans: