Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ikebana thinking

The respect & reverence shown toward flowers at Ikebana is religious in a nation where most Japanese deny being religious. I find that intriguing because in observing their actions they demonstrate a depth of spirituality and ritual I last saw at a friend's Episcopalian ordination. And yet there was whimsy as seen in this branch shaped like the view we have here on a clear day of Mt. Fuji. I appreciate the focus and attention given to things here. It takes a certain discipline that forms over many years.

2 comments :

  1. The Japanese give new depth to the statement "Patience is a virtue." I look forward to exploring this further if/when I have the opportunity to be a grandmother.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated & word verification is on to check for humans: