Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tea & Recipes

A Tea Party Beckons

Jet lag seems to have finally found me or is it the early mornings with my rooster moose?  I have been a tad cranky in the evenings before falling asleep much earlier than usual. Hope springs eternal that I will regain my equilibrium soon.

I went to a tea party today. I wore a dress to feel more lady like. The hostess had a stack of bamboo trays lined with lovely linens and napkins for each guest. I was too shy to take photos though I did drag my camera with me. It was a welcome tea for the Americans spending this year abroad in Japan. Most of the group is made up of the old timers like myself.  I got a bit of ribbing for finally showing up to something- it's been a while.  I tend to get busy over here on the Kamakura side of the island and don't tend to my American ties so well.

A topic of conversation is always how long do you have left. A good number of us will depart next year, but not everyone is as ready to go as I. One guest said, "I could live any where. It doesn't matter if it is here or the States." I wish I could feel that, but I miss being able to go visit family on long weekends or knowing where I will be in six months- I am tired of the uncertainty of military life perhaps. Six months ago we thought we were leaving. Six months from now I may return to the States. Who knows. At least I am in Japan with its strong Buddhist grounding to remind me that the moment at hand is all I really have, and I got a lovely recipe for chicken salad today.


The Recipes

Seven C's Chicken Salad
Chicken Breast (4), grilled or boiled, chilled & shredded
Celery, 1/2 cup, chopped
Carrot, 1/4 cup, shredded
Cashews, 1/4 cup, crushed
Craysons, 1/4 cup
Cilantro, 1 Tbsp, minced
Curry Powder, 1/8 tsp

Dressing: Whisk together
Mayonaise, 1 cup
Sugar, 1 Tbsp
Cream (or milk) 1 Tbsp
Vinegar, 1 Tbsp

Place all seven items in a bowl and add dressing until you have the consistency that you like.

This afternoon the munsters got out from school early as the teachers had a meeting scheduled. Three hours later and the Moose is still trying to get his homework done; the boy can't focus. The Mule has a friend over and they made Goppy Goop- here is the recipe.

Goppy Goop
White glue, 1 cup
Water, 3/4 cup
Food coloring, color as you like
Borax, 1 Tbsp
Water, 1/4 cup
Mix together the glue, water, & food color.  Separately mix together the borax and water. Pour the borax mix into the water and mix. Then play, play, play. Store in an ziplock bag and it will keep for weeks.

The Moose's homework
Playing with Goppy Goop
More Goppy Goop fun

No comments :

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated & word verification is on to check for humans: